Holiday time in Boca Raton is all about fun, friends, and family. Of course, virtually every holiday gathering is accompanied by delicious food that can tempt even the most resolute dieter. The average American gains 7 pounds during the holiday season, and most people do not lose all of this extra weight once the holidays are over. So while we want you to enjoy your Holiday parties and feasts without worrying about weight loss, we also thought it was the opportune time to provide you with some helpful strategies that will allow you to enjoy your favorite holiday dishes without packing on all of the extra pounds.
Strategies for Holiday Parties and Dinners:
• You may think that you are doing yourself a favor by avoiding eating until the party or family gathering. In fact, the strategy of “saving” your calories will most likely cause you to ingest more calories than if you had eaten sensibly throughout the day. You should make it a point to never arrive at a party or family gathering on an empty stomach. A small snack beforehand that includes a lean protein, fiber, and a small amount of carbohydrates will help you feel full so that you are less likely to eat an entire platter of appetizers.
• You should also keep tabs on your alcohol consumption since each drink can easily have 150 to 200 calories. Save that glass of wine or champagne for the actual meal or toast, and stick to water or club soda for the rest of the evening.
• Do not loiter near the buffet since you are more likely to engage in unconscious eating if you are near the food. When you do fill your plate, choose the smallest plate available, and do not stack the food. It also helps to peruse all of the food options before filling your plate so that you can determine which items are worth the calories.
• During a family dinner, try to sit next to the slowest eater and adopt their pace. By slowing down and savoring each bite, you are less likely to go back for seconds. Remember the less you eat now, the less weight loss you’ll have to deal with later.
Strategies for Staying Active:
Since it can be difficult to find time to get to the gym during the holiday season, it is important to sneak a little extra physical activity into your schedule whenever possible. The following are easy ways to burn off some of those extra calories when you do not have time for a workout.
• Park farther away from the door at work and when shopping.
• Go on a post-dinner walk around the block with the family.
• Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator at work or the mall.
• Take a quick walk during your lunch break at work.